Saturday, June 04, 2005

Felt too specific for Totally Vague Reviews

I know I'm behind the times with this, but I resisted reality TV as long as I could. Now, I've been watching a lot of reality TV for the last few months out of some strange masochistic/ experimental impulse, anything from reality games shows like Fear Factor, the Real Gilligan's Island, American Idle, and the Bachelor to those shows where they redesign people homes, plan their weddings, fix up their cars, make them compete for jobs, and who really knows what else. Although I must concede that I often am mildly entertained by the shows and spend the rest of my time watching them in a sort of vacuous stupor that passes time without really noticing it (except when Fear Factor makes me want to laugh and vomit and vomit laughter at the same time), I must insist that I think reality TV sucks away my will to be creative. It reminds me that real life just isn't as interesting as I sometimes let myself think it is and certainly not as interesting as it is when I write about it. If writing and movies etc. is reality with all the boring stuff cut out, than reality TV is movies and books with all the good stuff cut out. Just once I'd like to see the judges from American Idle stand up, pull out shotguns and just start removing all the candidates from the gene pool instead of simply kicking them off the stage. I think waiting for this is what ultimately keeps me watching.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Mmmm...reality shows with shotgun murders...futurepostapocalypsarific. Chomp.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Andrew Najberg said...

I think they should have some sort of "tag" game with shotguns. "Tag! You're it!" BOOM. Of course, a crumpled heap would have a tough time continuing to play, but maybe the remains could be eaten by a bear or something.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home